There really hasn’t been a change with Baby Bear on the new meds. No better/no worse..but hopefully they are working on those mini heartworms. His breathing is still heavy but he is alert and happy. We are trying to keep him quiet and comfy…both a bit difficult. He is wanting to play and explore outside and now gets very antsy indoors – the heat really gets to him fast as well.
He does need to go in for another round of x-rays on his lungs and heart which we will probably schedule for Monday.
We picked up all of Baby Bear’s new medicine last night at the pharmacy. After checking in with the vet today we started everything tonight. This first round of meds (4 weeks) will work on killing the baby worms outside of his heart (microfilaria). His spirits are high and he’s alert.
His breathing has been hard the past few days and we are hoping the meds help. The weather is also getting warmer so we are trying to figure out if that is adding to the problem. After talking with the vet we went and picked him up an air conditioner just in case he does need a cool down in his room (thank you Rich!). Our goal now is to keep him as comfortable and quiet as we can while we help him through the next few months.
Today we have a BIG vet day! Bounce (now Bellamy) is going in for his vetting, he flies out to his new home on Friday!!!
We have Ice, Sapphire, Brandy and Bailey (aka CT Morgan) going in for their first round of vaccinations.
Also on the list is getting some meds for Baby Bear. He had a wishy-washy night with his breathing, it was a lot heavier than ‘normal’, breaths per minute was a little high. He is out of the steroids they had him on, so while we are at the vet we are going to talk to them about this. Not sure if they’ll want to see him or just refill what he was taking.
We spoke with the vet yesterday on the next steps for Baby Bear. Unfortunately, since getting the clot, we have to be a lot more careful with his treatment. We do need to start working on those heartworms though…a catch 22 of sorts.
He is going to go in either Saturday or the beginning of next week for another set of chest x-rays. We are hoping for 2 things: 1. that his pneumonia has cleared up 2. that the new meds cleared up the clot that had formed.
After the x-ray appointment he will start on a new host of meds to slowly start killing all the baby worms that are surrounding the outside of his heart. He will stay on these meds for about 4 weeks.
At the end of the 4 weeks he will be admitted into the vet to start on Interceptor to slowly start on the worms in his heart. They will need to observe him for 3 things: 1. reaction to the Inerceptor, 2. another clot forming and/or 3. The worms dying off too fast…each of these is not good for Baby Bear so we want to be careful. Any doubts and he will be moved over to the ER for overnight observation and support. (this will be a monthly treatment)
Because of his condition, we have decided the safest route is the longest route. We are waiting for the cardiology specialist to weigh in on this plan. Will keep everyone posted as things start to move forward.