We just got in from a very long trip to the vet with Rollo.
After reviewing the x-rays it seems that Mr. Rollo has sprained one of his toes on his left paw. It can take anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks to heal. We need to keep quiet and inactive…no more backyard romping with his best buddy Raven!
While we were there Rollo got to visit the woman who saved his life on the Parvo unit. She was stunned at what a big (67.9lbs) and healthy boy he has become!
I have to say I am really disappointed with the treatment that we received tonight though and really hope it was just an off night for them. They gave amazing care to both Rollo and Baby Bear upon their rescue so it was a shock to get a doctor who was afraid to touch Rollo (who btw was sleeping on the floor).
He kept insisting that a muzzle be used on Rollo. He would not even hold Rollo’s paw to examine it he was so afraid. 1. Your a vet, get used to big dogs…not all should be muzzled for your comfort. 2. Why do you need to muzzle a dog who is laying down on the floor with his head in my lap? 3. If you are that afraid…go get a doctor who will do his job (there were 2 others working). I won…Rollo did not get muzzled!
Then after dealing with all that and the vet tech’s (you guys ROCK!) doing all of the handling of Rollo it was time to check out. 45 minutes to even be called to come up and get my bill by one of the rudest/crankiest women ever!
Between the doctor and the desk I was at the vet for over 3.5 hours.
It was a long and very frustrating visit at Animal League, but at least Rollo only has a sprain.
Rollo is growing big and strong. He is doing amazing in his wonderful foster home! He loves his best furfriend and all his mini two legged friends as well as his foster mommy.
He has aggravated his toe again and is limping around once more. Seems he got a nasty toe sprain from the great escape escapade. We are working on keeping him quiet so that we can get that toe completely healed. Lots of quiet snuggle time in this boys future!
Angel has gotten her second round of vaccinations and is now scheduled to go in for her spay in March. We took her with us to get the oil changed and everyone just fell in love with her there…hopefully she’ll find her furever home soon!
Remy is healing nicely and loving his new furever family. When he went in for his neuter we did find out he had some worms, so we had him treated as well as had him started on Lyme protection vaccinations…we wanted to send him off protected against everything!
Tootsie Roll got her second round of vaccinations and some new boundaries set. She is a little stinker in demanding her own way and spent an evening teasing Otto and Baby Bear! She also still has a double ear infection which they have put her on more meds for. Though the ears look better and all the yeast is gone, they believe one more round of drops is needed, so she’ll get drops for the next two weeks.
Rollo seems to have healed up and his limp is gone. We will be watching to make sure that he’s all good with that paw.
Wendy (aka Misty) is in love with her new furever home and loves her new family! She is working hard on manners and potty training. She is scheduled to go in for her spay on the 20th.
And last, but certainly not least….
Baby Bear. The vet was extremely pleased with his physical condition and the weight he’s put on. He’s gone from 47lbs on Jan 30th to 54.2lbs…still more to go but what an improvement! He had x-rays on his chest and another blood panel to check his levels. The chest x-rays showed some improvements on the pneumonia, the vessels don’t seem to be straining or inflamed as much by the heart. They have decided to keep him on the high antibiotics for 6 weeks. His respiratory rate is elevated so we are keeping an eye on that and they are still thinking about doing a lung scraping to send to the lab. They are also thinking he may have some permanent lung damage, but will know better once he is healed more. (this will not affect him too much just easily wind him).
His gums and tongue are a little on the white side so his anemia is getting worse. We will know more on this when the blood panel comes back today on if/what he will need.
We also had them look at a lump that we found on Baby Bear’s stomach while we were bathing him. It does need to be removed and they are hoping that it can wait until he eventually goes in for his neuter. It is on the outside of his stomach wall between his skin and tummy. We have it on our ‘to watch and do list’.
They want him to continue to be restricted as we’ve been doing. No potty outside or walks. The less he does, the better for him.
Ok, I think I’ve covered it all!